Saturday, November 8, 2008

hodge-podge

Usually, when I sit down to write a bjourn, it's because things are so heavily laid on my mind. Not that I always write (or publish) them. See, I can never seem to coordinate all the things running through my head into a coherent entry. I don't know why I can't either. Sometimes, I want to tell myself that I have ADD or something because I also have trouble doing other things in a sequence that makes sense. I'm having more and more trouble studying these days, like I read a paragraph over multiple times, but the information just floats off into some space outside of my brain. It's quite disheartening, and I refuse to think that I would develop a disorder in my early 20's after graduating college. But still, I don't know what my deal is.

However, instead of musing about some world crisis or a self-crisis for that matter, I thought I'd try just writing about mundane things, for the mundane is what makes my life, and I rather enjoy it for the most part. So, here's to the mundane things in life that make me happy of late.

1. Discovering new old music.
My taste in music varies all the time, but once I like something, I'll always like it, even if it's just for the nostalgia of it. Like in high school, I got really into hardcore and indie music. Maybe it was more of a scene. See, when I was in high school, indie and hardcore music wasn't really cool, and the whole scene around it was seemingly just beginning. I can remember going to shows where no one guys were wearing girl jeans or had that infamous scene haircut, you know the one with the super straight bangs swooped to one side covering one eye. Anyhow, I digress.
So, from the indie music scene, many artists would do acoustic stuff which I dug, and through the acoustic stuff I made my way into folk. And from folk, I got into bluegrass. A couple of years later, I started digging jazz and soul. And to admit a guilty pleasure, I've always had a soft spot for R&B. Somewhere between the indie stage and the bluegrass stage, I found Blind Willie Johnson by accident on a rural radio station as I was driving through the middle of nowhere on my way home from college one Friday night. I heard this piece of music, and it had no words, and I can't explain the draw that it had, but it was the oddest thing being moved by this piece of music. I caught one of the DJ's calling it something like "Dark was the Night". I scoured the internet to learn more about this song because I had to pass on this gem to my friends. During the scouring, I read that someone once called it the most transcendent piece in the history of American music. I felt my feelings for the piece were now justified. Anyways, that was my first adulthood glimpse into blues, and I'm not sure why I never jumped feet first into the genre, but I only downloaded that one song. Now, though, I'm really getting into Blues. I absolutely love it. And I especially love anything with the Blues/Folk/Soul classification. It's a merger of probably my three favorites all into one and it can't get any better. All that to say, I'm really digging Van Morrison and CSNY right now. I never listened to much of Van Morrison because all I knew was the "Brown Eyed Girl" song, which it's good, but to me it was just overplayed causing me not to search out more of his music.

2. Living in the Moment.
This is an on-going battle for me. I often am daydreaming about my future or fondly remembering the past. I love nostalgia, but living in the past should only be done at reunions, and living in the future is plain dumb because I have this theory that anything I daydream about will never come true anyways. So, my goal is to have a vision of my future that I'd like to have, and by vision of my future, it's mostly about what kind of person I become. So, to get to that person I have to work on my character flaws now. And, sometimes I think about being a wife or parent, but that seems so far away, that all I really should do is focus on being the person that someone would want to be married to or the kind of person that a parent should be to foster the most care to her children. Needless to say, I like random encounters, but really am working on building relationships where I am and learning to communicate more honestly and openly.

3. Twilight.
It comes out in 2 weeks and I'm pretty flippin' excited. Will it live up to the expectations I have? I'm not sure. As long as it isn't too cheesy, and I can feel the chemistry from the actors portraying Bella and Edward, I think that's all it will take for me to be a fan. However, I'm probably not going to go opening weekend, as I'm not willing to brave the legions of crazed-fangirls. Maybe I'll make it out the week after during the day while they're all in school.

No comments: